Skip to main content

The Perfect Deep Dish Apple Pie

Deep Dish Apple Pie (recipe below)



I'm really in the mood for Autumn to hurry up and get here, so I'm trying to encourage it by doing Autumn-y things like putting out my fall linens ad decorations in the dining room and baking Apple Pie.

This Apple pie is so easy to make and tastes delicious - equal parts tart and sweet with the perfect balance of cinnamon.

Truth be told, I never use a recipe for pies of any kind - I just throw it all together and hope for the best.  I admit that this is not the best approach.  While most turn out just fine, I have had my share of soupy pies.

The trick of it all is to trust yourself and know how it's supposed to look at the various stages.

Step one: is always start with fresh apples.   I prefer the tartness of Granny Smith for my pies, but I have been known to throw any kind of apple into my pies if they're on hand.

I slice each apple off of the core into about 4 large pieces then peel the pieces. I feel like they're easier to handle when they're in pieces that way.

After all the pieces are peeled, I cut each piece into slices that are around 1/2" wide and put them in a large bowl.

Once all the apples are sliced in the bowl, I dump sugar on them, followed by cinnamon until it looks right (don't worry! the actual recipe is going to follow).

When the sugar/cinnamon ratio is right, I add flour until it appears a bit sticky.  If you get this part right, you won't have a watery pie.
                                     



  

Step 2:  For this pie, I used refrigerated pie crusts.  Roll the bottom crust out to the point it is bigger than the pie plate you plan to use and then transfer it into the pie plate allowing it to hang over the edges.

Poke the bottom crust with the tines of a fork and add the apples and a few chunks of butter.  Don't worry if the apples are mounded up in the center because they will melt down in the oven.

You can either add strips to the top for a woven lattice effect or simple add the entire top whole and cut slits in it.  The important part is to allow them to hang over the edges.  Don't try to trim it or make it even.  You'll clean it up in the next step.
Step 3:  Take all the crust that is hanging over the edges and fold it under.  Pinch around the edges with your thumb and finger to create the fluted effect shown to the left.

Before putting it into the oven, I add some crust protectors so the crust doesn't burn.  

Pop it into a preheated oven (on a cookie sheet in case it bubbles over) at 350F and bake it.  I usually remove the crust guards after about 30 minutes, and then return it to the oven until it begins to smell good and I can see at least a little bubbling.
This is the end result.  Good luck - and if you decide to try it, or if you have any questions, please be sure to let me know!

Deep Dish Apple Pie Recipe
This makes a 10" pie

Ingredients
8-10 granny smith apples peeled and sliced
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons butter cut into chunks
1 package prepared pie crust 

Step 1
Add sliced apples into a large bowl.   Add sugar and cinnamon and fold it all together carefully until it's well mixed.  Sprinkle the flour in and again fold carefully until well mixed.

Step 2
Roll bottom crust into pie pan, pierce with a fork.  Transfer apples into bottom crust and top with butter chunks .  Place top crust on pie.

Step 3
Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are soft.  (If you watch for bubbling within the syrupy part of the pie you won't go wrong).  Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Romertopf Bread: The easiest loaf of bread you'll ever make.

Romertopf White Bread:  The easiest loaf of bread you'll ever make! Clay pots or earthen-ware may be the oldest type of cookware ever found.  In fact, they've been unearthed by archaeologists at historic sites all over the world!  We know that these ancient civilizations put these clay pots in the glowing embers of fires, and used them to bake, roast, poach, and braise all sorts of meals.   I admit that I'm new to clay pot cooking.  My mother-in-law gave me a beautiful covered Romertopf roaster for Christmas and when I started learning about how to use it, all I could think about was bread .  I make a lot of bread in my oven, but I was incredibly excited to try it in a clay pot!  After all, I reasoned, this would have to be as close to an authentic brick oven as I was likely to get, and I couldn't wait to get started. The basic bread recipe, which was included with my cookware, was the first one I tried.  Because you soak both pieces of the clay pot p

Pot Roast - the perfect one pot meal

Sunday night supper:  Pot roast, and mashed potatoes and gravy Pot roast is a great choice for lazy Sundays when you want a special meal, but you don't want all the work.  With just a little bit of prep in the morning, you can just pop this in the oven and cook it "low and slow" all day long.  The end result is simply perfection.  And best of all - nothing beats a good roast beef sandwich made with the leftovers.  Click below to read more.

Homemade Antibacterial Lavender Surface Cleaner

Homemade cleaners are better for you, your family, the environment, and your pocketbook.  This particular cleaner is perfect for just about all messes, and it's antibacterial too.  The best part of all is how easy it is to make. Prior to this cleaner, I had been using a simple 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water, but I wasn't satisfied with it for a couple of reasons. The smell was awful, and it took a long time to dry - even after wiping it off with a towel. Armed with just a few common household ingredients, I created a spray cleaner that is perfect for surface cleansing. The ingredients kill bacteria, and the final product is superior to commercial cleaner (in my humble opinion).  It smells GREAT too!  Give it a try - and be sure to check back here and let me know how you made out! Antibacterial Lavender Surface Cleaner 2 Cups of warm water in a measuring cup 2 teaspoons of Dr. Bronner's liquid Lavender castile soap 1 teaspoon vinegar 2 teaspoons rubbing alc